Wednesday, July 3, 2013

A Day In the Life of an Assistant Principal

July 3, 2013

July 1 marked the anniversary of my 4th year as a Catholic elementary school assistant  principal.  In many ways that day seems as though it happened yesterday!

As I reflect back on this journey, only those who have enjoyed a career in this position would fully understand the magnitude and benefits of this job.

Here's just a glimpse of  what has been accomplished in 4 years!

  • 8 handbook revisions
  • 68 teacher interviews
  • 27  hires
  • 87 Masses
  • 4 First Reconciliations
  • 4 First Communions
  • 4 8th grade graduations
  • 50 faculty meetings
  • 216 Evening meetings
  • Ministered to over 1500 families, over  3000 parents, over 2300 students, over 180 faculty and staff 
  • 210 parent conferences
  • Moved 1000 boxes
  • Put band-aids on over 200 boo boos
  • Mopped floors
  • Cleaned tables
  • Served over 100 lunches
  • Read  almost 1000 lesson plans
  • Conducted approximately 400 teacher observations
  • Answered over 1000 telephone call
  • Ordered 23,000 pounds of materials, supplies, and furniture
  • Ordered over 8000 textbooks
Looking back, it seems overwhelming and I must admit there were days that were.  However, no days before, and I expect no days that occur after this career (except for my experience as a wife and mother), will ever be as joy filled, rewarding, and fulfilling as my days as an assistant principal of a Catholic school.  

As Mother Theresa of Calcutta said "Do small things with great love"  and that is just what has happened, this vocation has filled me with love that I, in turn, can give back to those I serve.



1 comment:

  1. I love that your list includes cleaning tables and serving lunches. As an attorney, I never get to do those things. As an educator, EVERYONE does those things. Those are the things that build our character. :)

    ReplyDelete