Sunday, July 14, 2013

Viva La France

Today was Bastille Day.  For those of you who don't know what Bastille Day is, it is the French Independence Day (similar to our 4th of July).  My paternal grandparents were French and from a young age I remember my grandfather discussing his French heritage.  For a graduation present from high school, he sent me on a trip to France - an experience I have treasured!  Needless to say, I have a special place in my heart for France, their customs and cultures and treasure that part of my ancestry.

Today, in celebration of the rich French culture in LA, our new church pastor celebrated the Mass in French.  After Mass some family friends came over for a brunch of French Cuisine.  As I savored the specialness of today, I also paused to think of our Catholic Church as Universal.  To think that my French friends and French family celebrated Mass with the same readings and rituals as I did today truly makes me realize how amazaing and far reaching the message of our Catholic Faith is.  As I go into my school and work with my teachers to evangelize our Catholic faith to our young students I know we are doing one of the many things God calls us to do.

Tomorrow we will welcome 20 new teachers into our school as we begin a new teacher orientation.  May they, too, realize the importance of our Catholic faith and that their evangelization is helping to perpetuate the Universal  Church.


No comments:

Post a Comment