Friday, July 19, 2013

The 3 C's Catholic, Christ and Cursive


Philippians 4:13

I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me.


I was reminded this morning why I serve in a Catholic School.  On the way home from driving my daughter and her friends to volunteer for Vacation Bible School, I heard an extremely disturbing story being retold by a 6th grade school teacher.  I will give you the abbreviated version. 

 Basically, it was 8 months into the school year and the class was reviewing for an exam by answering questions the teacher was writing on the board in cursive.  One of her students, a young man, raised his hand and said "I can't read that curvy writing."  Her response was "you mean to tell me you have been in my class all year and never mentioned that you can't read "curvy writing?""  He confirmed that he could not read cursive and she continued to question him mockingly.  Her last comment to the young man was "Don't worry son, you won't need to be able to read curvy writing on the cash register at Walmart!" 

The teacher admitted she should not have spoken that way.  She even admitted that what she said was horrible.  However, she justified what she said, saying that she is a caring compassionate teacher.  If he would have just come to her she would have worked with him during recess and after school.

My question is, how did that student go 8 months without the teacher knowing he could not read cursive?  What was the responsibility of the teacher?

In scripture, our God says that we can do all things through Him.  What message did this teacher send to this young man?  As a teacher, we should empower our students and encourage them to soar to great heights and experience success.  I wonder what has become of this young man.

As an educator in a Catholic school, I am thankful that our teachers can use God's words to empower and encourage our students.  What would have happened to this young man if his teacher had said "I am here to help you.  Through Christ all things are possible!"



No comments:

Post a Comment